guppy's film reviews

Sunday, August 06, 2006

40-Year Old Virgin, The

Year: 2005
Director: Judd Apatow
Notable Actors: Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Seth Rogan
Score: C+
Summary: Horrendously overrated, not-very-entertaining comedy with only one joke to speak of.

________________

I didn't like The 40-Year Old Virgin.

There. I said it. And I'm not sorry. Even if I am the only one.

Virgin is a film that isn't so much bad as it is totally unremarkable. It centers around Andy Stitzer (Carell), who works at a big-box electronics shop with a few of his friends. One day, Andy and his friends are sitting around talking, and it comes out that Andy, who is 40, has never had sex.

Whoops, I'm sorry. I just spoiled the only joke in the entire movie. Sorry.

I'm exaggerating, but not by much. The movie is pretty much one long joke: "Hey, look! Steve Carell is a virgin! Ha ha, get it?" It's not much of a joke to begin with, and once you get it, there's really not much left.

After that he meets a girl and blah blah blah you can pretty much see where it's going from there. I went to see Virgin because I was constantly hearing about how hysterically funny it was, and I can only conclude that our prudish culture has bred an entire generation of people to whom the very idea of sex is hilarious, because I think I chuckled maybe half a dozen times during the whole movie.

It's not Steve Carell's fault, and I'm sorry that this is his first big starring role, because Carell is really a very funny guy. His performance is well-suited to the script, hitting just the right amount of awkwardness to keep you from feeling too bad for him. Unfortunately, the material he was given to work with isn't that great. The rest of the cast does passably, but nothing really stands out; the movie is really meant as a vehicle for Carell.

The only part of the film particularly worth mentioning is the ending. Like the rest of the film, many people will tell you that it is riotously funny, and this is a dirty lie. It's not particularly funny; it's just over-the-top weird. Watch it and tell me that I'm not right. I double dog dare you. It definitely gets your attention, though.

Virgin is a dull waste of time that has somehow managed to snow thousands and thousands of people. I recommend skipping it, but statistics don't lie, so chances are you're going to like it anyway. Steve, please pick a better project next time.

3 Comments:

  • Ok, your review was more amusing and entertaining than the film itself!
    Top notch:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:10 AM  

  • never wanted to see it, i think steve stinks!
    thanks for confirming ;)
    ~ bard (great faerie)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 PM  

  • I watched this at 3am on New Year's Eve last year, and not even being drunk and overly tired did I find it funny. It was just awful.

    By Blogger Sara, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home